Safe Return to Play
Here at Perpetual Motion, we are incredibly excited to get back to playing! Sports and recreation play an important role in the physical, social and mental well-being of both our players and our wider community. We have long prided ourselves on our amazing community of players playing ‘with’ each other and not just ‘against’ each other in our leagues in order to create a welcoming environment and lasting friendships. In this new normal, we’ll require the buy-in of all of our players to help ensure we do this safely together. It will require some patience, some kindness and some communication as we work through the process, but together we can and will play sports again.
Players, please read the Return to Play Guidelines below, followed by the Sport-Specific Adjustments and Rule Changes for each sport:
Before, During and After Play
SCREENING: Self-screening must be completed by all players prior to every game. If you feel any sort of illness and have been in recent contact with somebody who is sick, please stay home. If you are at a higher risk of experiencing serious illness from COVID-19, consider limiting or avoiding participation in sports activites. SCREENING CHECKLIST QUESTIONS - If you answer "Yes" to any of these question you must not participate.
HYGIENE: Players must wash their hands with soap and water and/or hand sanitizer before, during, and after play. Do not touch your eyes, nose, or mouth. Players must not eat on game locations, share any water bottles or spit. Players must cover their mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing. Players are advised to bring their own sanitizer to games.
CAPTAINS & SPIRIT: Team Captains will meet at a 2 meter distance before each game to discuss and ensure safety protocols are being met during COVID-19. Players must refrain from shaking hands, fist/elbow bumps, huddles and high-fives, despite the sportsmanlike nature of our league.
MASKS: It is highly recommended that all players wear a cloth mask that covers the mouth and nose before and after the game and in situations where social distancing may be more difficult.
PARTICIPATION: Team Captains are required to ensure that online rosters are complete and that attendance and weekly self-screening pledges have been completed by all teammates prior to play.
SIDELINES & BENCHES: Teams must spread out along the sidelines and respect social distancing. Teams are responsible for cleaning up any garbage they create in order to maintain a proper level of cleanliness.
SPECTATORS: We ask that players avoid bringing spectators to the fields/courts outdoors. Spectators will not be permitted indoors.
ARRIVAL AND DEPARTURE: Please arrive no more than 15 minutes before your scheduled game time when the field/courts are still in use. If you arrive early please wait until the other team has completly cleared the playing field/court. We need to ensure that social distancing is maintained at entrances and exits in particular. No congregating at the field/court when another group is coming onto the field/court. Please pack up and exit quickly and do not congregate in the parking lot before or after the game.
Sport Specific Adjustments and Rule Changes
Perpetual Motion has made some modifications to the format of our Soccer Leagues in order to comply with Phase 3 Team sports requirements and to ensure the safety of our players and staff.
Soccer Roster Size and Eligibility:
1. According to the Ontario Guidelines (page 19) leagues must contain no more than 50 participants total. If participants in a league exceed 50, the league may divide into smaller group of no more than 50. Players are not yet permitted to play against players outside of their league or group.
2. Team rosters will be capped at 12 players for all divisions to stay within the maximum of 50 players allowed in a league. Subs are not permitted, only players on the roster are allowed to play. League sizes will be adjusted to keep the limit to the 50 player maximum.
3. Only individuals who have signed the updated waiver, performed a weekly self screening assessment and read the guidelines of play will be allowed to participate.
4. Captains will need to keep a weekly log of players attendance for tracing purposes.
Soccer Rule Adjustments and Equipment:
1. Players must maintain physical distancing of 2-meters before, when possible during play, resting/sitting on the sideline and departing the game. Please keep in mind that we are all responsible to make every effort to minimize prolonged or deliberate contact between players. Players must refrain from high-fives, fist/elbow bumps, huddles and shaking hands. According to the Ontario Guidelines (page 19) Amateur and recreational sports leagues may resume so long as they do not allow prolonged or deliberate physical contact between players or if they have modifications to avoid physical contact between players.
2. Throw-Ins: Players will take short Kick-ins, instead of throw-ins. When the ball goes out of play, players place the ball on the line with their foot. then kick it in less than 5 meters (short kicks).
3. Corner Kicks: Will be limited to short kicks-ins, not shooting the ball at the goal in order to maintain physical distancing. When placing the ball please use your feet not your hands.
Indoor Soccer Return to Play Guidelines (Subject to Change):
- All players must wear a mask when inside the building except when playing the games and sitting on the sidelines while the game is in progress. Mask must be worn when entering/exiting the building, going to and from the washrooms and while changing your shoes.
- All player must wait at the main front doors to enter the building, all players from the previous games must first exit the building (side door) before the next group can enter. Entry will not occur earlier than 10 minutes before game time. Only those preregistered in the league will be permitted to enter the facility.
- Players must come dressed to play as all the change rooms will be closed. Players must bring indoor shoes to change into before playing the game.
- Game will be 50 minutes long which allows 5 minutes for teams to leave and 5 minutes for new teams to enter the building. When your game is over please exit quickly, so the next group can enter the building. Players are to maintain physical distancing from staff and each other upon entry.
- Players are required to passively screen themselves for COVID-19 symptoms (via signage) before entering the facility. The attendant will check your attendance and record it on the attendance log each week.
- Upon entry individuals you are asked to sanitize your hands and follow the directions provided.
- You will proceed through the lobby into the fieldhouse, the outside lane of the track will be closed and covered with a floor covering to protect the track. The closed outside track lane will have chairs that are spaced 2 metres apart against the outside wall for you to sit and change into your indoor shoes. Store your belongings at your chair and proceed to the field as instructed by facility staff to do so. Travel on the track covering that has been put in place to protect the track. If you choose, you can remove your face covering at this time.
- No eating or drinking liquids other than water is permitted. Water fountains have been put out of service until further notice, the vending machine has been emptied and put out of service until further notice. The hydration station will be in service.
- Spectators are not permitted indoors.
- In the event your are late to your game, please call 519-265-7905 ext. 1 for the attendant to let you in as the doors will be locked at game time.