Safe Return to Play
Here at Perpetual Motion, we are incredibly excited to get back to playing! Sports and recreation play an important role in the physical, social and mental well-being of both our players and our wider community. We have long prided ourselves on our amazing community of players playing ‘with’ each other and not just ‘against’ each other in our leagues in order to create a welcoming environment and lasting friendships. In this new normal, we’ll require the buy-in of all of our players to help ensure we do this safely together. It will require some patience, some kindness and some communication as we work through the process, but together we can and will play sports again.
Players, please read the Return to Play Guidelines below, followed by the Sport-Specific Adjustments and Rule Changes for each sport:
Before, During and After Play
SCREENING: Self-screening must be completed by all players prior to every game. If you feel any sort of illness and have been in recent contact with somebody who is sick, please stay home. If you are at a higher risk of experiencing serious illness from COVID-19, consider limiting or avoiding participation in sports activites. SCREENING CHECKLIST QUESTIONS - If you answer "Yes" to any of these question you must not participate.
HYGIENE: Players must wash their hands with soap and water and/or hand sanitizer before, during, and after play. Do not touch your eyes, nose, or mouth. Players must not eat on game locations, share any water bottles or spit. Players must cover their mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing. Players are advised to bring their own sanitizer to games.
CAPTAINS & SPIRIT: Team Captains will meet at a 2 meter distance before each game to discuss and ensure safety protocols are being met during COVID-19. Players must refrain from shaking hands, fist/elbow bumps, huddles and high-fives, despite the sportsmanlike nature of our league.
MASKS: It is highly recommended that all players wear a cloth mask that covers the mouth and nose before and after the game and in situations where social distancing may be more difficult.
PARTICIPATION: Team Captains are required to ensure that online rosters are complete and that attendance and weekly self-screening pledges have been completed by all teammates prior to play.
SIDELINES & BENCHES: Teams must spread out along the sidelines and respect social distancing. Teams are responsible for cleaning up any garbage they create in order to maintain a proper level of cleanliness.
SPECTATORS: We ask that players avoid bringing spectators to the fields/courts.
ARRIVAL AND DEPARTURE: Please arrive no more than 15 minutes before your scheduled game time when the field/courts are still in use. If you arrive early please wait until the other team has completly cleared the playing field/court. We need to ensure that social distancing is maintained at entrances and exits in particular. No congregating at the field/court when another group is coming onto the field/court. Please pack up and exit quickly and do not congregate in the parking lot before or after the game.
Sport Specific Adjustments and Rule Changes
Perpetual Motion has made some modifications to the format of our Flag Football Leagues in order to comply with Phase 3 Team sports requirements and to ensure the safety of our players and staff.
FLAG FOOTBALL ROSTER SIZE AND ELIGIBILITY:
1. According to the Ontario Guidelines (page 19) leagues must contain no more than 50 participants total. If participants in a league exceed 50, the league may divide into smaller group of no more than 50. Players are not yet permitted to play against players outside of their league or group.
2. Team rosters will be capped at 8 players for all divisions to stay within the maximum of 50 players allowed in a league. Subs are not permitted, only players on the roster are allowed to play. League sizes will be adjusted to keep the limit to the 50 player maximum.
3. Only individuals who have signed the updated waiver, performed a weekly self screening assessment and read the guidelines of play will be allowed to participate.
4. Captains will need to keep a weekly log of players attendance for tracing purposes.
FLAG FOOTBALL RULE ADJUSTMENTS AND EQUIPMENT:
1. Players must maintain physical distancing of 2-meters before, when possible during play, resting/sitting on the sideline and departing the game. Please keep in mind that we are all responsible to make every effort to minimize prolonged or deliberate contact between players. Players must refrain from high-fives, fist/elbow bumps, huddles and shaking hands. According to the Ontario Guidelines (page 19) amateur and recreational sports leagues may resume so long as they do not allow prolonged or deliberate physical contact between players or if they have modifications to avoid physical contact between players.
2. Steamboats: Quarterbacks must stay 2 meters back from the line of scrimmage when the defence is counting steamboats. If they find themselves within this space they must immediately retreat.
3. Flags and Hands: Captains are responsible for ensuring that players have sanitized their flags and hands prior to play. Players are encouraged to wear gloves.
4. Flagging: Defenders must attack only one flag at a time, no wrapping up. After grabbing the flag, quickly return back to a 2 meter distance. The defensive player should leave the flag on the ground respectfully for the flagged player to pick up on their own.
5. Game Balls: Teams should come with 2 footballs (provided by the league) each and sanitizer or wipes for players to clean the football. Teams are encouraged to swap out the game ball or re-sanitize the game ball often. Players should also bring hand sanitizer to clean their hands and gloves regularly throughout the game. If a football from another game lands on your field, do not throw it back. Let a player from another field pick up their football.
6. Huddles: Huddles must abide by social distancing measures. It's suggested that all 4 receivers line up horizontally for the play call from the Quarterback.
7. Defence: Teams are encouraged to play a zone defence to promote social distancing.
8. Prizes and Team Pictures: During Covid-19 we won't be taking team pictures, using the Perpetual Card or awarding prizes, you will be playing for bragging rights, great sportsmanship and a fun night out!!!